Custom Search

Food Handling #2

Here in Uruguay, and in some other parts of the world, meats (salted sometimes) hang freely in kitchens, deli's, etc. No refrigeration, no covering...just hanging out.

But I was raised to believe that if a food item is left outside of the fridge for more than a few hours it is no longer fit for consumption. I.E. with eggs, milk, or meats. My boundaries have been stretched and I am no longer so overly concerned with the refrigeration rule. Although I am still a strict follower of the five second rule with the floor.

But I was stretched further yesterday. Leche en UruguayI was at my friend's house when I noticed an uncooked dish on their stove counter. It was raw meat soaking in milk, and would remain soaking in this milk for the whole night until it entered the stove the following day. No way, this can't be. You are just asking for a mean session involving a toilet after this (were saying my thoughts).


Final verdict: It was an absolute delicious lunch...and was not accompanied with any uncomfortable bathroom breaks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If that wasn't a "Matambre a la leche con Adobo" I am not an Uruguayan...I grew up seeing a tray just like that one every couple of weeks at home. I still prepare it myself but I leave it inside the refrigerator... If there was any left, go back today; it will taste better re-heated!! daniel

Dom said...

That is what it was called...I couldn't quite remember the name of it! Thanks!
Dominic

Rosana said...

No me gusta el matambre a la leche!! puaj!

Anonymous said...

You may be surprised to hear that meat in particular, and food in general, is far cleaner and more wholesome than in the "first world". Meat is generally aged without refrigeration. You just don't often see the process. As for the milk...non refrigerated milk becomes cheese amongst other goodies thanks to those friendly bacteria. The 5 second rule is a VERY good idea. The other bacteria are down there......