Custom Search

Cultural Enjoyment

culture in plaza de independencia









Walking through the Plaza de Independencia (Plaza of Independence...very different in Spanish, I know), I saw this group of performers.

I was shocked, and stopped in my tracks. Maybe I am off here, but I was impressed with seeing another culture's tradition being randomly displayed in public. It wasn't Carnival or some other special event, but some foreigners letting Uruguay get a glimpse of their land probably very far away.

I have seen Asian people before in the Plaza de Independencia (without the unnecessary translation in parenthesis). But these groups, of men usually, are workers that arrived from the cruise ships to spend a few hours or days of work break - or so I was told.

But on balance, I enjoyed seeing this new act in the streets of Montevideo - a welcomed change!

No comments: