Custom Search

Montevideo Empanada Investigations Completed


After intensive investigations the results are in: I now have a gut. I like to think that it is due to the firey focus during my mission. But the thought that I like to gorge myself full of these awesome meat-pastries could have its place in the conversation as well. My tally:

#1: La Taberna del Diablo - these guys know how to make dough as if it were made at home by Grandma Empanada Queen. Wow. When I brought one of these to my tutor session for Juan to taste, he immediately shot out, "Esta es como una empanada de casa!" Loosely translates to this-is-the-real-stuff, I think. Kidding. Sort of.

#2-4 in this order: Mafalda, La Riberna, La Barca. I am not going to boringly go through the differences though. I wrote a piece about the empanada hunt, but it hasn't been published (was hoping to add it to this entry, but got impatient so here we are).

Bottomline: empanadas with their varying styles, flavors, and way of being prepared match up to each individuals' tastes in different ways. But take my word for it: if you are ever in an area that serves empanadas, ask for one (al horno, my preference).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see you picked my favorite! Taberna del Diablo is only a few blocks from me -- it serves as my "kitchen annex"! Yes, "al horno" is the only way to go.

-- Shirley

KNM said...

Shockingly-I dont think I would like them. Is the crust like a flaky pie crust? If so, I'll pass. I fit's like a calzoney pizza dough, I'll take a dozen.

Dom said...

not flaky at all. they practically melt in your mouth...to write the over-used phrase...

KNM said...

hmmmm... I heard there's a place in Mission Viejo that is pretty good, and as close to authentic as you can get out here.